Thursday, December 18, 2008

If you build it, they will come


I've been meaning to make a go of this new career I had planned for myself - or at least part of a new career (the other part was to spend time doing random things - things different than what I normally did for a living, some of which would make me money, and some non-profit work). The new career was in energy healing - and specifically Reiki. I thought I'd set up a studio in Hyderabad - if not a separate thing, at least have a room in my apartment that I could work out of...

But no apartment yet. And no real plans. And some random writing thing sort of working out, but haven't started on it yet - and no real income can be realized from it for a while. And realized that I really have to make a commitment to set up this studio thing. But not sure if I want to take the plunge yet - I thought I was - but am reconsidering. And people telling me that no one's going to come to me or pay me here for this sort of thing unless I establish a reputation first. Vicious cycle.

But still. I thought I could at least try something that didn't really need an investment. Craigslist!!!! - they actually already have a listing for Hyderabad - so why not - put in an ad for Reiki under the therapeutic services category. Aunt and cousin offered me the use of a shed they have in their compound - nicely enough appointed. It's really a cute little den/office masquerading as a shed. We moved a bench (more than 60 years old) from their sit-out into that room - to function as the treatment table. And I added my healing books and certificates to the other books on the bookshelf. And I watched a request come in for the Reiki. But when the person called me, he asked me what sort of massage it was. I was slightly disappointed, but I explained what it was to him and he said he'd see if he needed that sort of a treatment. Then one more. And this person seemed much more interested after my explanation - and he showed up. We talked for a bit. My first real paying client! Though I have had a few relatives pay me a dollar or two in the past, as a token - this was different. And he was from Princeton, NJ - what irony. Six thousand miles from there and my first customer used to practically be my neighbor all that distance away.

I treated him for a while and he went to sleep soon after we began. Then he suddenly started coughing and needed to get up to slip some Halls into his mouth - he aplogized - then he went "you're really good" and promptly went back to laying down again and I went back to working on him. We talked a while after we got done. He felt my hands to see if they were still hot as they had been during the treatment - not really. He told me about other people he knew who did this sort of thing - and about some other random stuff. Then he paid me - and tipped me as much as the session had cost. I have to admit it was weird - to charge for this sort of thing and then to be tipped; but I think it really should be charged for to be valued, and that if I want to spend large chunks of my time doing this, then I really need to accept money for it. I told him it wasn't necessary. But he insisted - so I told him I'd donate the tip. Gave it to aunt and asked her to give it to the charity of her choice. It's nice of family here to facilitate all this - they're all rooting for me, even though they thought this didn't have a chance. I'm sure that energy alone is plenty - and more, for me to make a start.

And then another email, and another. I'm not sure if it will go anywhere by itself. But I know now that if I get serious and commit myself, come they will.

No comments:

Post a Comment