Friday, November 07, 2008

On matters spiritual

For years, I have been irked by a certain Sathya Sai Baba devotee trying to get everyone and their brother (me included) to come to their bhajans and their 'seva' sessions and everything else that they do. Now, those things in and of themselves are not things that I cannot stand participating in or attending, but when they sit in the middle of something that seems so cultish and in the middle of devotees who are so pushy and do not take kindly to anyone who does not view their 'God' or 'Baba' or who or whatever they consider him to be, in the same way, I do not want to go anywhere near them.

And so, it is funny how incredibly annoyed we can become when other people try to shove their spiritual beliefs down our throats, yet act in the same way when we encounter our own epiphanies or have our own experiences. Not understanding how other people cannot believe in what we now believe, having experienced it for ourselves, 'it's real', we say. 'They weren't making it up'. 'It's all true - you have to try it, to experience what I did'. Until suddenly one day, someone points out that you sound like a zealot and they're not interested in trying what you did, or experiencing what you did, or even really in listening to your endless recounting of it.

So, thank you, wise person. On reflection, I understand what you mean, and furthermore, I now understand that one person's truth may be different from another's and that none of it is absolute and that if something is to come to someone, it will; it does not need me to bring it to them. Ok, well I always knew that, it's just that I couldn't help myself all this while. But now I have a lesson learned.

No comments:

Post a Comment